The awards season keeps rolling with the SAG Awards, that took place yesterday in Los Angeles. And as the Golden Globes did a few weeks back, the Screen Actors Guild Awards singled out the hottest films, those which are slated to win an Oscar (Fences, Moonlight, La La Land notably).
On the red carpet front, amid the turmoil caused by President Trump’s first day in office, many stars ditched the extravagant, sequined, ruffled dresses and opted for more understated numbers. Which can be interpreted as a thoughtful wish to avoid displaying insane amounts of richness when people are stranded in airports and families are separated because of the new policy.
In fact, many speeches addressed the current situation and called for resistance and solidarity with those in need.
- Supporting actress: Viola Davis, Fences
- Supporting actor: Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
- Actress: Emma Stone, La La Land
- Actor: Denzel Washington, Fences
- Best Ensemble: Hidden Figures
- Actress TV comedy series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
- Actor TV comedy series: William H. Macy, Shameless
- Cast TV comedy series: Orange is The New Black
- Actress TV movie or miniseries: Sarah Paulson, The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
- Actor TV movie or miniseries: Bryan Cranston, All The Way
- Actor drama TV series: John Lithgow, The Crown
- Actress drama TV series: Claire Foy, The Crown
Cover photo: Emma Stone, Thandie Newton & Gwendoline Christie ©Getty/Zimbio