Let’s start with that so that we won’t have to address it again: Isabelle Huppert didn’t win that Oscar. Yes, sad. But she has won so many awards in the course of the past few months that it cannot be seen as a negative. And the U.S. really embraced her, which is something in and of itself.
So, Emma Stone won that Oscar. It was almost a given. How could it not have been when La La Land was such a love song to Hollywood? And Hollywood sure accepted the rose and kissed the film back with a few Oscars: Damien Chazelle won one too for Directing, Justin Hurwitz won two, one for Original Score and for Original Song, Linus Sandgren won one for Cinematography, and the film also won Production Design. Love is beautiful.
The current queen of acting, respected by the likes of Meryl Streep, Viola Davis won her first Oscar for her tremendous performance in Fences. May she long reign in Hollywood, she’s wonderful and deserves all the awards she’s received.
But the real winner of the night was Moonlight. The modest film won the ever wonderful Mahershala Ali his first statuette, and the film also won Best Picture (after an epic mix-up by film legend Warren Beatty) and Best Adapted Screenplay.
Manchester by the Sea also received a bit of love with two Oscars: one for Original Screenplay and Best Actor for Caset Affleck.
- Actor in a Supporting Role: Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini, and Christopher Nelson, Suicide Squad
Costume Design: Colleen Atwood, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Documentary Feature: O.J. Made in America
- Sound Editing: Sylvain Bellemare, Arrival
- Sound Mixing: Kevin O’Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie, and Peter Grace, Hacksaw Ridge
- Actress in a Supporting Role: Viola Davis, Fences
- Foreign Language Film: The Salesman
- Animated Short Film: Piper
- Animation Feature Film: Zootopia
- Production Design: La La Land
- Visual Effects: Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones, and Dan Lemmon,Jungle Book
- Film Editing: John Gilbert, Hacksaw Ridge
- Documentary Short Subject: Orlando von Einsidel and Joanna Natasegara, The White Helmet
- Live Action Short Film: Kristof Deak and Anna Udvardy, Sing
- Cinematography: Linus Sandgren, La La Land
- Original Score: Justin Hurwitz, La La Land
- Orignal Song: “City of Stars” by Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek, and Justin Paul, La La Land
- Original Screenplay: Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester By The Sea
- Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight, screenplay by Barry Jenkins; story by Tarell Alvin McCraney
- Directing: Damien Chazelle, La La Land
- Actor in a Leading Role: Casey Affleck, Manchester By The Sea
- Actress in a Leading Role: Emma Stone, La La Land
- Best Picture: Moonlight
Photos Getty via Zimbio